vislivecode slightly ot rambles (was Re: [livecode] another ramble)

From: Amy Alexander <amy_at_plagiarist.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 02:17:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 May 2004, alex wrote:

a> Here's another unedited ramble. With this I'm trying to describe my
a> live code editor, which has just been given the name of feedback.pl.

i've been thinking off and on about what it might be like to do something
like this with visuals, and somehow the above two lines from alex provided
the magical inspiration. so last night i threw together a rough quick
funny thingee that's a livecode editor and vj instrument - both at the
same time. you type the code on the screen, and it actually executes the
code as you type it, but all the visuals are made of the onscreen code too
(sort of like my cyberspaceland project, but with code, and much simpler).
though i'm experimenting with including the ability to pull in the whole
desktop sometimes as well. and like cyberspaceland, it generously abuses
the concept of feedback (but in this case, the whole thing's a feedback
loop anyway... this is somehow reassuring because the concept of video
feedback in digital vj tools always disturbs me a little - since computers
have no optics they can't "see" their own output like in the original video
feedback with cameras. i like awake nights worrying about that.)

of course the devil is in the details and i should really find some time
make The Thingee a bit less rough than it is, and actually get good enough
at performing it to make it entertaining to watch and not just a
conceptual one-liner... time is not one of my assets these days, but
hopefully i'll have enough time in the coming weeks/months to get this
going at least on a basic level... if so, would be cool if there's some
time within the livecode-related activities at the r&d camp - if you think
it fits in, i would be honored to do some quickee performance of it...

in keeping with my new "foot-operated software" crusade, i may also add
an option where you can do the live coding with your feet on a DDR pad.
(this would have the added benefit of bringing the world one step closer
to the elusive goal of dancing about architecture.) i
think i've actually figured out a warped hack for doing that, but i'd
really have to be much less tired than i am now before i could attempt
such a feet <sic>.

-_at_
(you may stop groaning now.)