[livecode] validation/typos

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:54:34 +0100

In SuperCollider we type enter rather than return to execute a
line/selection. Hard to do accidentally in my experience. If there are
syntax errors, there's an error message and you can correct.

If we type legit syntax but there are errors, say

myObject.undefinedMethod

then there will be some crashing halt of that task, which doesn't mean the
audio output is necessarily affected. Crashes vary in how awful they are
depending on what you're coding.

Reset of SC via recompile or via restart of prog in OS X can take from 2 to
20 sec; almost like a break between songs in a standard band's set!

Julian has attempted to write some validation code to cover possible
problems; in general this is impossible due to our friend the Halting
Problem. Like word processor spell checking, context may not be picked up
on, and the algorithm may be entirely runnable, just not about to do what
you thought you had coded due to user misassumptions. The elusive human
understanding of abstract operations is in full play- the heroic
intellectual side to this live coding game...