Re: vislivecode slightly ot rambles (was Re: [livecode] another ramble)

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:41:27 +0100

> but typing "rot" or "rot 3" or "rot 3 10" would be preferable. can i
> predefine a "rot" routine or do i have to actually write it while i'm on
> stage? requiring it
> to be written on stage seems to me to privilege the existing language
> (lingo) too much as the basis from which everything must spring. and
> "rotation" is a pre-existing algorithm anyway.

There is freedom for the live coder to determine the language of their
discourse. The continuum low to high level abstraction is part of that.
Appreciating algorithms is an attempt for an educated audience to share the
feeling of code running in their minds (to paraphrase Alex) as they also
hear/see results. Connisseurial reaction may very based on whether you
spontanteously create some algorithm variant in fine detail or call

MySplendidShortcut(3.14158)

As for the implicit controls of language assumptions, and the wrangling of
control, Julian has spoken poetically about this, and I think he should be
credited with anticipating these issues by calling an event 'changing
grammars'.

oops, hope that didn't sound too dictatorial; I admit all your points Amy,
and these continuums of leeway are the aesthetic territory of future
professional live coding critics...