Re: [livecode] foo

From: Fredrik Olofsson <f_at_fredrikolofsson.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:21:42 +0100

alex:
> We could take the runme.org approach, of challenging what we disagree
> with by taking it to ridiculous levels. So having a page for
> officially
> ratified TOPLAP live coding performance systems and having thousands of
> languages in there.

was it you alex or julian who brought up apple's new garage band
program as a good opposite pole http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/
it sure is ugly and scares me. crap music will be flooding. ableton
live is another good case study i think.

alex:
> But letting your screen be seen,
> so that the movements within the interface can be seen exposes more of
> the process. The audience might not understand any more of the process
> (watching a guitarist perform doesn't help a non-musician learn about
> chord structures), but they are nevertheless allowed to witness
> movements of musical processes.

defining live-coding will probably be difficult and might take time.
but couldn't we try to break down the problem and see what we can agree
upon at the moment?
dare i suggest we all can agree with alex above on a notion of playing
with open cards (in practice... project our screens during performance
or if that not possible at least not hide away behind the screen
looking 'very serious'). trying to share and communicate by
visualising, in whatever way, what's going on in the computer and our
minds?

i got another thought though...
if you project any sequencer program it will be instantly obvious
what's going on. on-screen knobs and faders bores you and after a few
minutes you'll loose interest - maybe in the resulting music too. it's
hard to be a virtuoso in ableton live. rather, isn't the thing about
live coding the curiosity of how it really works? at least slub makes
my brain spin trying to figure it out. i just love the expectation
seeing a command executed and listening for its effect in the music.
or which chunk of unreadable terminal output belongs to which sounds.
i'm not proposing making things more difficult than needed but isn't it
a trick of the trade to keep some secrets, arise curiosity (and thereby
dialogue) and not letting the audience grasp the whole working process
at once?

amy:
> sorry if any/all of this is stuff that's been discussed already! i
> know it
> can be weird when new people join a group and then bring up the same
> things that have been gone over before... hoping to catch up soon! :-)

nono, you didn't miss much. we just got started really.

googling for 'live coding' brought this up
http://www.eagle-software.com/snobol_review.htm witness of a delphi
live coding happening.
"If you thought that programming was always a personal, selfish
pleasure, then you should have seen this: a British audience
(correction: a British audience of programmers ) shouting out and
competing with each other and actually cheering and bursting into
spontaneous applause "
is this something to strive for? the [delphi] guru at the keys and an
[delphi] audience that can appreciate all twists and turns and
contribute. sounds a little romantic in my ears.

_f (also slow typing)

   #|
      fredrikolofsson.com klippav.org