Re: [livecode] foo

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:27:28 +0100

>On 24 Feb 2004, at 10:57 am, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
>
>> I'm a 2 - 3 finger typer and I'm totally desinterested in typing
>>speed apart from practical consideration. I find it fascinationg to
>>be quick, but who would
>> judge a speech from its speed, for example?
>
>Hear hear. If I may digress slightly, and bring in another related
>consideration we mustn't lose sight of:
>
>There is considerable snobbery amongst coders, even amongst friends.
>There are too many misconceptions, and too much rivalry between
>skill sets. There were raised eyebrows in the audience in Hamburg
>when it was revealed that I use REALbasic to make music.

actually renate said to me (raising eyebrows) that this is really
done in Visual Basic she found it very nice that this language known
rather from economic informatics could be used to do music language.

> Later, over food, there was considerable surprise that whilst Alex
>is the "perl one" and I was "REALbasic one", I was the one who wrote
>the slub sound engine in C. Heavens above! I know how to use gcc as
>well as a mouse. How did that happen? Coders are the worse at this.
>Not even stroppy prima donna artists do it.

hm, reminds me a bit being in india being the "angresi" (english) and
in northern australia being the "balanda" (hollander - dutch)...
I think the idea of "level of abstraction" in programming language
should be abandoned as far as possible, as well as "value" of a
certain language.

>Amy asked if we should be inclusive or competitive. I suggest we
>need to be inclusive (fairly obviously given my experience), but
>let's be careful that we dont endorse or promote any particular
>practice, since it'd be easy for that to be misconstrued in the eyes
>of a community of coders who are conditioned to judge by tools
>alone. My line is that it's not the tools that are of interest, but
>how you use them.

I would suggest not to use tools at all, or not to see algorithms as tools
at least.
--
.