Re: [livecode] foo

From: Adrian Ward <adrian_at_signwave.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:33:11 +0000

On 24 Feb 2004, at 10:57 am, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:

> I'm a 2 - 3 finger typer and I'm totally desinterested in typing speed
> apart from practical consideration. I find it fascinationg to be
> quick, but who would
> judge a speech from its speed, for example?

Hear hear. If I may digress slightly, and bring in another related
consideration we mustn't lose sight of:

There is considerable snobbery amongst coders, even amongst friends.
There are too many misconceptions, and too much rivalry between skill
sets. There were raised eyebrows in the audience in Hamburg when it was
revealed that I use REALbasic to make music. Later, over food, there
was considerable surprise that whilst Alex is the "perl one" and I was
"REALbasic one", I was the one who wrote the slub sound engine in C.
Heavens above! I know how to use gcc as well as a mouse. How did that
happen? Coders are the worse at this. Not even stroppy prima donna
artists do it.

Amy asked if we should be inclusive or competitive. I suggest we need
to be inclusive (fairly obviously given my experience), but let's be
careful that we dont endorse or promote any particular practice, since
it'd be easy for that to be misconstrued in the eyes of a community of
coders who are conditioned to judge by tools alone. My line is that
it's not the tools that are of interest, but how you use them.

Note that this differs somewhat from the "graphical
programming/patching" debate.

For my next project, I'll be writing a raytracer in Visual Basic. The
core renderer will be implemented using DOS batch files, though.

--
Adrian Ward, Signwave UK
http://www.signwave.co.uk/ - +44(0)7711 623498