Re: [livecode] foo

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:19:52 +0000

> I would suggest not to use tools at all, or not to see algorithms as tools
> at least.

julian, could you expand on this a little please?

Am I misrepresenting you if I say :

you want to explore programming languages as thought empowerers and
mindsets in performance. Because conventional fixed GUIs allow no abstract
thought, generalisation, meta-statements, interpreted languages are a
better medium for tackling such issues as performance art?

> I think the idea of "level of abstraction" in programming language should
be
>abandoned as far as possible, as well as "value" of a certain language.

Can we all agree that there are many potential languages (and many that
would be intriguing to use, even if supposedly less optimised to audio
etc...), and no one optimal live coding solution?

Are we allowed to discuss languages though in terms of their
abstractions/representations- this is surely critical to their use and
appreciation. Whilst in no way denigrating the artistic choice of a
particular set of constraints on a live coding performance through a
particular medium...