Re: [livecode] foo

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:52:25 +0100

>> I would suggest not to use tools at all, or not to see algorithms as tools
>> at least.
>
>julian, could you expand on this a little please?
>
>Am I misrepresenting you if I say :
>
>you want to explore programming languages as thought empowerers and
>mindsets in performance.

yes, this I think is an important point. In performance would mean
that what is in action is not the application (the tool) but the
grammar and the language (the algorithm). What I try to describe is a
perpective more than a thing in itself.

>Because conventional fixed GUIs allow no abstract thought,
>generalisation, meta-statements, interpreted languages are a better
>medium for tackling such issues as performance art?

well I would not find it wrong to count GUI activities as performance art.
UI is a metaphor of acting and of worlds so why not apply this term
to artistic treatment of windows and such things like buttons and
mouse clicks - this is just another example that for artistic work a
distinction cannot be made between a good and a bad medium in general.

>> I think the idea of "level of abstraction" in programming language should
>be
>>abandoned as far as possible, as well as "value" of a certain language.
>
>Can we all agree that there are many potential languages (and many
>that would be intriguing to use, even if supposedly less optimised
>to audio etc...), and no one optimal live coding solution?

optimum has no general meanings, so I would always agree to this.
I find it important though that we have to ratify the acceptance of a
certain language first. (:

>Are we allowed to discuss languages though in terms of their
>abstractions/representations - this is surely critical to their use
>and appreciation.

of course. I was pointing at a very common paradigm that builds a
world order from low-level to high-level languages, which I find has
its right but is not that useful as soon it comes to semantics and
artistic programming.

>Whilst in no way denigrating the artistic choice of a particular set
>of constraints on a live coding performance through a particular
>medium...

I have a high respect for people who play the trumpet and try to get
violin timbre out of their instrument..
--
.