[livecode] changing grammar news notice for CMJ

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:51:25 +0000

Is below Ok with people? Anything further I should mention? I can't be too
overly enthusiastic since it's just supposed to be a notice that the event
took place..I attended as guest so can't review it explicitly.

cheers

Ps swiki down at moment so can't check a couple of fine details...

Changing grammars: a live audio programming symposium
12-14 February 2004
Hamburg, Hochschule fur Kuntz.
http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/609

This symposium brought together a number of practitioners and experimenters
in the field of live coding, that is, on-the-fly programming as an
improvisatory and exploratory activity. The three day meeting involved many
informal workshops, and eventually some presentations on the Friday
evening, before a public concert on the Saturday at the betalounge in the
city centre.

The art school provided a seminar room with network sockets for all
attendees. Every symposium visitor had a laptop and the workshops proceeded
with networked music spawned on inbuilt speakers. The workshops were
documented on the fly via the swiki site hosted in the university.

The event was organised thanks to the endeavour of Julian Rohrhuber, author
of the jitlib extensions to SuperCollider and main workshop leader. As well
as many further active participants, invited guests included London
laptopists slub (Alex McLean and Ade Ward) renowned for their linux command
line and custom software programming antics , Alberto da Campo presenting
his ProxyMixer for jitlib, Sekhar Ramakrishan, Martin Carle and audiovisual
duo klipp av. A virtual presense was Ge Wang from Princeton (author of the
new Chuck language for live programming) who made a video appearance.

A website and mailing list have been setup to follow up issues raises at
the conference (http://www.toplap.org). These ideas are not restricted to
music but can extend through the generative arts.