[livecode] Re: the return of the livecode list?

From: Filippo Guida via Livecode <livecode_at_we.lurk.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 12:05:10 +0200
Hi Alex!

Thank you so much for reaching out. I would be happy to share my experience with the community and I will definitely promote the initiative.

I also would like to invite the community, especially the Berlin-based algoravers, to reach out. Any reason is good, from play together to have a chat. I’d love to connect.

music_at_eilseq.com
eilseq.github.io

About me:

Until 2018 I have been performing now and then with Tidal, Supercollider sometimes pure javascript and analog machines. I selected to play at FARM 2017 where I had chance to meet Alex and Alexandra in person. Also played in an event organized by Renick, Shelly and Callum in Berlin i think one year after. Very fond memory of both days. After that other sporadic events here and there.

I remember sharing a cab with Renick on the way back from the concert. We spoke about the role of live coding music in the large community. I could see my ideas were blurred and influenced by others. I felt a strong need to distance myself from algorave in order to find a personal perspective on live coding music.

After a long time of self reflection, working full-time as a software engineer, I’ve decided to start again with my artistic production last year: now strongly focused on glitch, both for visual and music. Has always been my first love, and I think the reason why algorave attracted me was the ability to have spikes of unexpected beauty from complex processes that I don’t necessarily understand.

The level of surprise you get whenever a circuit bended machine brings to live colors and movements that are there only because of a faulty wire. As a neurodivergent person I feel a faulty wire myself, perhaps that has to do with it.

This is why I named my project EILSEQ, error illegal byte sequence, after an actual C++ error I would get a lot when working with audio buffers.

For me live coding music is another way to bend processes and extract new shapes by altering complex systems. Create balance and destroy it by injecting random functions. Lose control over production and open myself to possibilities outside of my understanding.

If you made it so far, we’ll thank you so much for the time you spent to read about my story. I’m looking forward to hear about yours.

Love,
EILSEQ