[livecode] Re: Future distributed ICLC?

From: Ogborn, David <ogbornd_at_mcmaster.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 21:44:53 +0000

Hi all,

Somewhat tangentially to this discussion: I think we can productively choose to resist thinking of the live coding “community” in national terms at all.

I think there are lots of pieces that come together in the network of live coding. I could start by pointing to highly visible forms of direct institutional support (whether “academic” or “cultural”) that have come from various places in Europe, the Americas (site of half the ICLCs thus far, by the way), and Australia. I note also less visible/stable but still important forms of support in other “continents”. I’m sure there are things that are less visible to me but more visible to others. Just as profoundly, there are countless daily activities of online sharing and collaboration around live coding, that bring people together quite freely and without too much (or any) regard paid to Westphalian borders.

To be sure none of this is “equally distributed”, but live coding’s equity problems - which imprecisely mirror the equity problems of computing in general - aren’t going to be resolved by raising this or that national flag, or tearing down some other national flag.

The more I think about it, maybe this isn’t so tangential after all: A distributed conference could be the best reflection of live coding and its networks.

Yours truly,
David