[livecode] Re: Future distributed ICLC?

From: <scott_at_fradkin.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:31:59 -0000

I'm wondering if it's going to cause more of a problem to bring environmental aspects into this? Yeah, maybe certain modes of travel are bad for the environment, but there's only so many ways to travel long distances.

Perhaps the real crux of the problem is one of accessibility. From where I live in the US it's fairly expensive to travel no matter where I'm going. I travel every 6 weeks for work and it's pretty appalling how expensive it is to take a 2 hour flight. Not counting in the flight costs, the cost of a room somewhere can be rather expensive as well. Then you have to add in food. So, the costs do add up.

So, part of the issue is funding. Part of the issue is probably time away from work and family.

I'm not sure I have any good answers to this, but some other ideas could be:

- Multiple smaller conferences each year with a larger conference every couple years
- More help to develop regional live coding scenes
- Help with technology to allow easier sharing of streaming
- Help with funding for travel/lodging
- Help with giving people options to be able to bring family on travel (funding, lodging, child care, etc)
- ?????

This isn't an easy problem to solve for certain.