Re: [livecode] Livecode community

From: Alex McLean <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 00:26:15 +0000

On 3 January 2018 at 21:02, Aymeric Mansoux <aymeric_at_bleu255.com> wrote:
> I've been co-running LURK with Alex, and in the past years we've had
> several off-list exchanges about the platform itself.

Yes I was focusing on the livecoding community in particular but I
should have made clear that the potential move of lurk.org lists/fora
from groupserver to mailman3/hyperkitty is a general lurk.org issue
something Aymeric and I have been talking about for ages.

> One point however that I find very important, is that this discussion
> should not just limit itself to a raw comparaison of features between
> platform X and Y. I think that most people on LURK, and not just the
> livecode group, have a certain sensibility towards the ownership and
> control over their tools and their practice. A discussion platform is no
> different because it will have a big role in shaping the discourse and
> culture of an online community.

Yes in theory gitter is free/open source and able to be self-hosted.
In practice it looks like this is only possible on mac platforms at
the moment..

> I'm personally attached to LURK, as in the idea of running a relatively
> autonomous platform for things I care about, not so much because of the
> software it uses, but because it is consistent with ideas of empowerment
> and cultural diversity, and yet is too often an overlooked component in
> the structuring of communities of practice.
>
> Practically, it's true that's it's a pain to maintain, but I think that
> it's not just an email server maintenance issue. Personally I find the
> real burden being the maintenance of GroupServer, and would love to find
> an alternative, and *also* we could really do with an extra root or two
> on the server side.

Yes hopefully mailman3 is mature enough + clean enough to make
maintenance a happier experience.. I think there is a general rot of
the openness of email though :/

> Regarding the Slack/Gitter issue, I just want to point out that there is
> a fully working XMPP server running on LURK for quite a while now, and
> has been the home of a couple dozens users and a bunch of chat rooms.

I worry that xmpp has quite a high barrier to entry though, if people
have to install clients to access it etc..

cheers

Read the whole topic here: livecode:
http://lurk.org/r/topic/QW1G96ZOoY8H6kKAx2eEi