Re: [livecode] Livecode community

From: Aymeric Mansoux <aymeric_at_bleu255.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 13:53:10 +0100

Alex McLean said :
> > I'm personally attached to LURK, as in the idea of running a relatively
> > autonomous platform for things I care about, not so much because of the
> > software it uses, but because it is consistent with ideas of empowerment
> > and cultural diversity, and yet is too often an overlooked component in
> > the structuring of communities of practice.
> >
> > Practically, it's true that's it's a pain to maintain, but I think that
> > it's not just an email server maintenance issue. Personally I find the
> > real burden being the maintenance of GroupServer, and would love to find
> > an alternative, and *also* we could really do with an extra root or two
> > on the server side.
>
> Yes hopefully mailman3 is mature enough + clean enough to make
> maintenance a happier experience.. I think there is a general rot of
> the openness of email though :/

Yes and no, since the introduction of SPF and DKIM I don't think there
has been more things pushed. I remember going through an intense re
config of my own email server 2 years ago (and did not even installed
DKIM), and I did not change a thing since then, I'm also scoring 9/10 on
https://www.mail-tester.com. Not sure how to take this 9/10 seriously
though :) but this tool tests all the things that would make your email
be seen as spam when received on very strict email servers.

> > Regarding the Slack/Gitter issue, I just want to point out that there is
> > a fully working XMPP server running on LURK for quite a while now, and
> > has been the home of a couple dozens users and a bunch of chat rooms.
>
> I worry that xmpp has quite a high barrier to entry though, if people
> have to install clients to access it etc..

Yes, I mentioned XMPP because it's up and running. But it
definitively requires some motivation to use it :)

We're very far from the web app paradigm.

That said, we've had lots of success with friends and family using XMPP
through Conversations (an Android app, both in Play store and F-Droid).
It's the most polished free software project I've seen in a long time.
It's super user friendly and works as one would expect a modern IM to
work.

Things get tricky when you want to use desktop clients, as you need to
find the right client with the right plugins (XEP) to have something as
smooth as Conversations. We use in majority Gajim (with OMEMO,
http_upload, URL image preview plugins) that is available on
Linux/BSD/Win/Macos, and some of us started to use Dino (Linux only I
think) but it does not have yet all the features of Gajim but is much
better designed.

If you go through the trouble of getting the desktop/laptop client stuff
sorted, you end up with something that works flawlessly, sync messages
across all your devices, provides modern encryption, message archiving,
offline message queuing, delivery confirmation, and is resilient in
low/unstable connectivity networks like mobile network, or when hopping
from wifi hotspots. Also works perfectly fine over Tor (Conversations
has even a dedicated option for that). Also, because it's decentralised,
anyone can use the XMPP server of their preference, LURK XMPP users can
talk to any other XMPP server users (https://list.jabber.at for a short
sample of most popular servers) and private/public chatrooms can be
hosted by any servers and joined by anyone regardless which server they
use to connect.

Here is a collectively written essay about XMPP and some HOWTO resulting
from experimenting with LURK's XMPP config and other XMPP hosts from
members of the homebrew server club:

https://homebrewserver.club/

a.
--