Re: [livecode] Wtf is live coding?

From: thor <th.list_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:59:57 +0000

Hi all,

Great to see a discussion happening on a mailing list and not on that awful Facebook!

I tend to think David is right that you need to involve a computer in live coding. Sometimes those computers are humans, animals, nature, or analogue machines. (See Hayles' book "My Mother was a Computer").

But on a reflection, I wonder if you can live code lying on your back in the dark (like Beckett) writing code in your minds eye, and not bothering about an interpreter or an audience? A bit like a modernist composer who doesn't give a damn about the listener.

I once wrote a paper on the difficulty of defining live coding. That's why the title became "Herding Cats" - it might be relevant here.

Thor

http://lurk.org/r/topic/70exJrb1n4wf0zbnxNmtKK