Re: [livecode] Wtf is live coding?

From: Tristan Strange <tristan.strange_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 10:54:13 +0000

On 24 December 2015 at 19:25, David Barbour <dmbarbour_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Live coding is using a powerful language as an HCI. This is opposed to
> using application specific language (predefined forms or widgets, a weak
> CLI language, etc.) that hinder flexible expression or abstraction.

Nice but people live code with little languages all the time don't they?

HTML, fancy DSLs and ixiLang?

Could I argue argue that a a collection of widgets could make up an
extremely powerful language?

Also are you adamant its an HCI concept? I think we're looking at the
interface between system and person these days - not just computer and
person what with dancers and choreographers doing it. Sometimes live
coding takes place without a machine in sight doesn't it? I reckon its
a cybernetics thing...

> I think it's worth separating live coding from its application in
> performance and music. With augmented reality, and internet of things, or
> semantic webs, we could see a much wider applications.

Yep. There's no reason to tangle the two. Leaving things this fuzzy
lets people spout nonsense about them.

--
Read the whole topic here: livecode:
http://lurk.org/r/topic/7aXz9JGpcS1bXv4qkBAdhB