Re: [livecode] livecoding.tv

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:26:22 +0000

I guess "live coded music" focusses on the outcome rather than the
activity (depending on whether you think music is a product or an
activity). "live music coding" is a bit better in principle but
doesn't roll off the tongue..

Originally we started off using "live programming" and "live coding"
interchangeably but I think the latter won out because it's easier to
say.. This seems to be the case in this new wave, to start with it was
called 'live programming' but over time has settled back on 'live
coding'.

I guess I'll carry on calling it "live coding" because I'm interested
in non-musical live coding as well, and whether or not we're talking
about music is generally clear from the context.

So maybe we should carry on saying 'live coding', but refer to TOPLAP
more, as a safe space for live coders making video and music a little
outside the world of software engineering.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the wikipedia page..

Read the whole topic here: livecode:
http://lurk.org/r/topic/5h1yg929uOAr8wgCR7p4Vj