Re: [livecode] First live coding performance? Tom DeFanti, 1976, with video / paper

From: Julian Rohrhuber <julian.rohrhuber_at_musikundmedien.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:10:12 +0100

Hi Alan and all,

the conversations were taking place between Kurd Alsleben and the computer (and Cord Passow), so "in private". For Alsleben, this was the starting point of his development of the art form of "conversational art", where conversation (between humans involving machines or not) is the main subject matter. These conversations have a semiofficial character ("offiziƶs") - so as an art form, the idea is to get rid of a classical audience in a way.

The news on the early history are really very refreshing and interesting.

In the toplop community, we've always had a practice of being deliberately unsharp about the definition of live coding. This has the advantage that it widens the view on the subject and that it makes it impossible of writing a naive historiography of "firsts". There are many of these, in particular in conversational and interactive programming, as we discussed in Dagstuhl.

One can make out a number of aspects that came together when the concept "live coding" was formed, which then serve as a way to retrospectively see the history. All these aspects however are best described as contradictions (or spectra, if you wish).

- public vs. dialog (projection, audience, displacements such as pubs or living rooms, and "private" or semiofficial dialog)
- pro-gramming vs. immediacy (algorithms, formalisms, languages, but then also tweaking of parameters and direct intervention)
- improvisation vs. reproduction (public reasoning, improvised responses, but also preplanned code narratives and schedules)

I don't think that Turing-Completeness is necessary, I could imagine a live coding performance in simply typed lambda calculus, or an embedded finite automaton.

If I were trying to be narrow and separate "interactive computing" from "interactive programming", I'd say that the delegation of actions and reasoning fore and back between program and human is necessary. If I were trying to separate "interactive programming" from "live coding", I'd say that it must be a performance of some sort (whatever that may be). If I wanted to separate "live electronics" from "live coding", again the first distinction would come in. I find this somewhat inadequate with regards to the dynamics of the subject, however and potentially excluding interesting ideas.

http://lurk.org/r/topic/6yIiSBRDzkrVDdjRAVRCkK