Re: [livecode] First live coding performance? Tom DeFanti, 1976, with video / paper

From: Amy Alexander <amy_at_plagiarist.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 07:53:15 -0800

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:55 AM, thor <th.list_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, Larry Cuba presented GRASS and animations made with it at Seeing
> Sound last year. He showed a video that included live coding by Tom DeFanti.
>
> I was quite blown away. Larry, I think, was just hearing about live coding
> for the first time there, and realising that they'd been live coding in the
> 70s.
>
> There are probably people all over the world who will recognise that
> they've been live coding in the past if the concept is introduced to them.

I've been doing interpreted real-time visuals intermittently for 20 years,
been involved with *this* form of livecoding for about 10, and never
connected them until yesterday. Possibly I've even discussed it with Larry
in recent years, and it didn't click for either of us, at least the way I
described it. I think the connections I didn't make (and I'm not sure if I
still do) is/are:

* The importance of showing the code (I don't know any interpreted-graphics
visualist who has displayed code outside of here)
* Doing it as live performance as opposed to output to film or video
* It making a conceptual difference to artist or audience in the end
product. E.g., an animator who has made films shot both in real time and
using single frame techniques probably felt it was a different way of
working and found pros and cons to each, but likely separates that
experience from the output. For worse or better, most of us have been
trained to not get too wound up in the process and only focus on what the
audience can obviously experience.

Also, a lot of the context for the work, esp. with Dan and Tom, is related
to tradition of real-time analog synth performance (which is not far from
audio analog synth performance.) See "Sandin Image Processor" if you're not
familiar with it. Dan did a talk for my grad seminar a year or so ago
where he mentioned that he really liked knobs on the analog synths as a
performative interface. So going back and forth from that environment to
real-time interpreted visual programming within the same lab setup (and
switcher) would be the logical way to do it.

Here's a Sandin IP link while I'm at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qh6jRzjmcY

Happy Pixels!

http://lurk.org/r/topic/3YdRLlWIWXHuXHCONHmRl4