Re: [livecode] teaching kids to "live code"

From: David Ogborn <ogbornd_at_mcmaster.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:00:49 -0500

Hi Mike,

This is not a formal reference point, but I thought I would share the experience nonetheless. A few years ago I was paired with a Toronto middle school (grades 6-8) as a resident composer. I was to work with a group of about 12 kids that had signed up to work with me as an afterschool/extracurricular thing. Generally we did structured improvisation, but I brought two "technological" possibilities - a pre-made ready-to-go multi-channel, multiple Wiimote controlled synthesis instrument, and some simple live coding ideas in ChucK. I was somewhat surprised that it was the live coding which got the group the most excited, followed by their traditional instruments, with the gestural Wiimote instrument clearly in third place!

Yours truly,
David

On 2014-01-28, at 2:29 PM, Mike Hodnick wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> Are any of you aware of an existing curriculum for teaching children (aged 12-13 years old) about live coding? I'm working with a local school on teaching some of their students about live coding. These students have some basic hands-on programming experience already. We're looking to have the students be able to demonstrate what they learn (ideas, concepts, hands-on application) as we build up to a final live coding performance.
>
> While I've been trying to generate some excitement about live coding here in the US and in my city, I never thought it would catch on with kids and schools first. I think this ties in perfectly with the ideas about live coding's impact on education, as outlined here: http://toplap.org/dagstuhl-seminar-report-collaboration-and-learning-through-live-coding/. However, I feel like I'm in over my head in this area. I do not have a formal background in pedagogy and would like to learn of any reference material for getting children exposed to live coding. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> -Mike

Dr. David Ogborn, Assistant Professor
Communication Studies & Multimedia
Director, Cybernetic Orchestra