[livecode] teaching kids to "live code"

From: Mike Hodnick <mike.hodnick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:29:28 -0600

Hi all -

Are any of you aware of an existing curriculum for teaching children (aged
12-13 years old) about live coding? I'm working with a local school on
teaching some of their students about live coding. These students have some
basic hands-on programming experience already. We're looking to have the
students be able to demonstrate what they learn (ideas, concepts, hands-on
application) as we build up to a final live coding performance.

While I've been trying to generate some excitement about live coding here
in the US and in my city, I never thought it would catch on with kids and
schools first. I think this ties in perfectly with the ideas about live
coding's impact on education, as outlined here:
http://toplap.org/dagstuhl-seminar-report-collaboration-and-learning-through-live-coding/.
However, I feel like I'm in over my head in this area. I do not have a
formal background in pedagogy and would like to learn of any reference
material for getting children exposed to live coding. Does anyone have any
experience with this?

-Mike