Re: [livecode] teaching kids to "live code"

From: Charlie Roberts <bigbadotis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:24:45 -0800

I came across this paper on musical live coding in Scratch a while back:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1734384

Seems like there are some good references in there to look through, but if
I remember correctly live performance was not explicitly a goal of the
instructional design they describe. Sam Aaron's paper on Sonic Pi
(mentioned in the Dagstuhl report) and Overtone has some preliminary
evaluation after using live coding in the classroom. These are just a
couple I can think of off the top of my head.

Gibber has been used by a company in the UK (http://bitjam.org.uk/) to
teach music programming to teenagers in hacklabs. But again, the end goal
was not a performance, and it was also not for a full-length course. I
would love to hear about a class for kids like the one you're imagining!