Re: [livecode] teaching kids to "live code"

From: algomusic <algorithmicmusic_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:36:51 +1000

Hi Mike,

There are a few places to start with this, although they may not amount to a formal curriculum. I suggest checking out:

General Observations
http://computinged.wordpress.com/tag/music/

Sonic Pi
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4906

Scheme Bricks and Fluxus
http://www.pawfal.org/dave/index.cgi?Teaching

Scratch
http://youtu.be/nEkzaL80M6Y
http://youtu.be/U5sv6a0_u8Q
http://scratched.media.mit.edu/resources/teaching-computational-thinking-through-musical-live-coding-scratch
http://youtu.be/rDyo4p1qLuE
http://scratchmusic.businesscatalyst.com/index.html

Python
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Music-Computers-Programming-Textbooks/dp/1439867917

Chuck
https://www.coursera.org/course/chuck101

Cheers,

Andrew

On 29 January 2014 at 5:29:56 am, Mike Hodnick (mike.hodnick_at_gmail.com) wrote:

Hi all -

Are any of you aware of an existing curriculum for teaching children (aged 12-13 years old) about live coding? I'm working with a local school on teaching some of their students about live coding. These students have some basic hands-on programming experience already. We're looking to have the students be able to demonstrate what they learn (ideas, concepts, hands-on application) as we build up to a final live coding performance.

While I've been trying to generate some excitement about live coding here in the US and in my city, I never thought it would catch on with kids and schools first. I think this ties in perfectly with the ideas about live coding's impact on education, as outlined here: http://toplap.org/dagstuhl-seminar-report-collaboration-and-learning-through-live-coding/. However, I feel like I'm in over my head in this area. I do not have a formal background in pedagogy and would like to learn of any reference material for getting children exposed to live coding. Does anyone have any experience with this?

-Mike