Re: [livecode] livecoding and gestural control

From: Marije Baalman <nescivi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 14:57:21 +0100

Hiho,

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:17:18 +0000
Konstantinos Vasilakos <k.vasilakos_at_keele.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Marije, thanks for that, this looks very interesting. I have also
> done something in the same fashion, working with controllers and
> combining live coding means to change the mapping and range specs of
> the communication in real time. What I found less supporting to the
> whole is that it can be a bit distractive, especially to the
> theatrical aspect that gestural performance provides if at some point
> you stop play and sit down to type in your computer. It actually
> interrupts the flow of the theatricality/dramaturgy. I guess you try
> to eliminate that by using a recorder/looper of the gesture to
> overcome this (?). I have also used a (CtLooper) and somehow this
> seems a nice strategy to implement for this kind of pieces. I am
> wondering what's your findings/opinion in this matter.

I also eliminated the sitting down part, by having the laptop at
standing height - so I can code while standing.

So it is mostly the mental divide between playing gesturally and coding
that can be challenging.

The CtlPlayer you see in the video is built on top of the CtLooper -
combining it with a NodeProxy, and is indeed a method to be able to play
and record a gesture, and then change the mapping while it is looping.
It also allows me to build up several layers of sound playing
simultaneously.

It is sometimes difficult to move on to more complex kinds of mapping
in the short timespan of a performance, rather than just changing the
number ranges, although I have done some of this also in some
performances and rehearsals.

One motivation for the piece is to show normally hidden mapping
methods, another is that this is a good way for me to develop these
strategies - the deadlines of performances just force me to play more
often - also in rehearsing.

Do you have any footage of your work along the same fashion?

sincerely,
Marije