Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:59:30 +1100

On 13/01/2013 8:17 AM, David Barbour wrote:

> In general no. Most user interfaces are not, in any formal sense,
> programming languages.
> To be a programming language you need Turing completeness.
>
> Oh? Eight years studying PL and that's the first I've heard of this
> significant restriction. I better go tell the Agda, Idris, Coq, Funloft,
> Synchrone, and Charity people that they've got it all wrong.
>
> But them SQL guys got it right. SQL's been Turing complete since 1998.
> Oh, and it seems CSS+HTML is also Turing complete (even without JavaScript).

I don't really care whether researchers want to call sub-turing-complete
functions "programming languages." If you don't have universal
computation then it's not a programming language in my book. This is
pretty straight forward and clear cut.

Further, if your program/function is decidable it's not very interesting
from a performance standpoint.

Clearly I'm in the minority, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and
I can't think of a better place to draw it -- unless you want some
watered down definition of "live coding" that pretty much admits every
procedural activity under the sun from deterministic dataflow patching
to musical dice games.

Ross.