Re: [livecode] is live coding aiming to audience with particular programming knowledge

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:24:39 +1100

On 13/01/2013 10:28 AM, Charles Céleste Hutchins wrote:
> I might be tempted to claim that in order to be considered a PL for live
> coding purposes, a language would been to be able to make decisions (ie
> if statements) and manipulate data.

Agree.

> However, many people write PD
> patches that never use conditionals and doing these patches live would
> certainly count as live coding.

Really? Under what definition.

I wouldn't consider construction of a deterministic dataflow patch "live
coding", I'd call it "live patching." I thought that distinction was
quite clear in the vernacular.

> If we're going to require a feature in
> a language, then that implies we'd also be requiring the performer to
> use that feature. Ergo, the only requirement is the ability to
> manipulate data and describe the way and order in which the data is to
> be manipulated.

Although my own performances have been limited to live patching, I have
a certain idea of what programming is. I expect to (and do) see that
thing when people perform live coding.

For me it is about the execution of *algorithms*. Not just data
specification or the construction of dataflow graphs. If a dataflow
graph clearly expresses an algorithm -- well that's a different matter.
I agree with what you say below about the ontology problem. But if a
performance convinces me that an algorithm is there, then I think it can
qualify as live coding (in all the cases you mention).

Perhaps "performed conceptual art of the reified algorithm" would be a
better moniker than "live coding"?

Maybe that doesn't require a Turing complete language. Personally I
rather think it does. Maybe even the Turing machine is not sufficient to
"express all emotions I might feel" as Kas requests.