Re: [livecode] family tree of languages for live coding

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-lists_at_audiomulch.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 23:56:42 +1100

On 10/01/2013 6:33 AM, Konstantinos Vasilakos wrote:
> Hello there, I would like to ask if there is a list to track down the
> evolution of the languages for live coding, for example Kuivila used
> Forth, and there was Lisp as well, is there any tree of family of
> the languages for live coding?

I don't know of one but I would be interested to see it too.

I would like to see it include a sub-branch for real-time musical
scheduling languages -- I think at least some of these supported on the
fly programming:

HMSL: http://softsynth.com/hmsl/

Streamer:

Worrall, David. 1990. “Streamer: A real-time performance and composition
software environment.” Australian New Music Conference, Brisbane.
Worral, David.

D. J. Collinge MOXIE: A Language for Computer Music Performance
http://libra.msra.cn/Publication/1985607/moxie-a-language-for-computer-music-performance

=> MOXIE inspired the scheduling in impromptu and a number of Roger
Dannenberg's projects.

Other contenders:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/cmt/
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/clm/

David P Anderson and Ron Kuivila survey a few others here (ICMC '86):
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/p/pod/dod-idx/model-of-real-time-computation-for-computer-music.pdf?c=icmc;idno=bbp2372.1986.007

Matthews' GROOVE:
http://www.musicainformatica.org/topics/groove.php

Anderson and Kuivila "Formula":