Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 14:21:47 +0100

On 5 July 2011 10:10, Juan A. Romero <rukano_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> We also tried with midi controllers, I used 8 rotary knobs as step sequencer, and some faders for filters and effect mixing. It was quite nice for reacting to the others in the ensamble (who also used any kind of controllers). But afterwards we saw we spent most of the time on the controllers and not coding that much, thus making the algorithmical development more steady and at some points totally abandoned. There was still a musical developement, trhough the controls, but once we started using them one sticks a little bit to it, in my opinion.

Yes that's interesting, I guess with livecoding you're working a bit
ahead of time, with some tricks to make immediate changes if you
need/want to in response to other players. Once you switch your hands
to a midi controller and off the keyboard you lose the latency, which
is a bit like cashing in an investment in time. You can then do
direct manipulation in 'realtime' but to get back to the compositional
level of live coding you have to invest more time, during which
nothing much is developing.

http://yaxu.org/