Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: Juan A. Romero <rukano_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 15:06:55 +0200

Hi

On 05.07.2011, at 14:19, Kassen wrote:

> I quite like it; looks elegant. It would probably make some things a lot more clear to a audience of more traditional computer-based musicians too. I'm not sure the gui looks more handy to me than the shortcut to expand the pattern you define into a array of numbers though. I think I like that one more, but that one is probably less transparent to a lay audience.

Thanks. I started with that code interpreter and replacer mostly to use randomness and tune ist, for example creating an array with random values, if I leave it like that it will be random every time (or use random seeds and make the code more complex), so that way I can execute and create a random value or array and then change some of the randomness with my desicions. In the demo I just used a duplication though, but it interprets everything selected and replaces the result in the document. So yes, it is handy sometimes, but I also thing the people have a hard time understanding the code, and suddently it dissapears and a lot of numbers are there... some would get it, some other don't. When I still use the SuperCollider text editor, I use to use that sometimes, rather than the sliders or matrix.

> Maybe something like this would be most at home when shaping wave-shapes or splines to be used for modulation or wave-shaping? With the right interface and splines one could go back and forth between code and a graphical display of a shape.
>
> Anyway I was surprised how natural and coherent this appeared. Nice demo.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Juan