Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: Sam Aaron <samaaron_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 18:57:53 +0100

On 4 Jul 2011, at 18:23, Jeff Rose wrote:

> One thing I've been thinking about lately is integrating small bits of live instrumentals with live-coding. So for example, one thing I find tedious when live-coding is listing out sequences of notes or chords. This is something that you have to pretty much think out in advance or else spend too much time with in the moment. Instead I was thinking it would be nice to have a midi keyboard next to me, and have a mechanism to hit a hot-key or something, and then as I play notes on the keyboard have their text representation paste into the current buffer or into a variable that's easily accessed from the code.

I was having precisely this conversation with Alan Blackwell today except we were talking about the monome as a tool for manipulating code structure directly - but I can totally see how this would work for a keyboard too. I agree, having external tools that can generate all or parts of the code itself is a very exciting future for live coding. The question I have is whether this support should be at the language level or the tool level. i.e. should pressing the monome modify an internal data structure in the AST which is reflected somehow in the text buffer or to just modify the text buffer directly (which would be trivial with emacs). However, something that maintains a 1-1 mapping of the AST in text would be amazing. live-coding would then be a process of editing subtrees and committing changes to the AST via text editors or external instruments interchangeably. Coding with vim or emacs against Overtone/Impromptu is halfway there...

Sam

---
http://sam.aaron.name