Re: [livecode] help - "future directions in live coding"

From: Jeff Rose <rosejn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 19:23:36 +0200

One thing I've been thinking about lately is integrating small bits of live instrumentals with live-coding. So for example, one thing I find tedious when live-coding is listing out sequences of notes or chords. This is something that you have to pretty much think out in advance or else spend too much time with in the moment. Instead I was thinking it would be nice to have a midi keyboard next to me, and have a mechanism to hit a hot-key or something, and then as I play notes on the keyboard have their text representation paste into the current buffer or into a variable that's easily accessed from the code. Similarly, I think this could tie in with other aspects of a live-coding session where you could do things like feed a markov model with a short riff, or adjust synth parameters with knobs on the keyboard. I haven't started on anything yet, but hopefully this gets the idea across. It could be interesting to integrate more than just one person too, but that's for even further into the future :-)

Good luck with the talk.

-Jeff