Re: [livecode] lmrfrms

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:30:33 +0100

Laurens;

That's an interesting point. Other comments included that I should be on
> stage also. We're even considering to do this online, since I'm currently
> abroad, which is slowing things down for this project. However, one comment
> was that not seeing the 'source' of the coding, including the creative
> process in terms of face expression etc. is a loss. I'm not sure whether I
> do agree, but it's something to think about.

 I think it can be relevant. Consider the "greyhound" piece Marije did,
available on this page; http://www.nescivi.nl/?page_id=87

That's probably the clearest example I know of of putting emphasis on the
performer's facial expressions in livecoding. I feel that adds something and
that it adds more with a live audience.

IMHO there is quite enough electronic music that focuses on the beauty of
"the machine"; countless odes to drum-machines and lovesongs to computers
were written, with perhaps not enough emphasis on how we as people relate to
them and interact with them. Aside from visual contact between the performer
and the audience I'm attached to visual contact between performers and feel
that opening that too to the audience can add something.

In your particular setup accomplishing all of that may be challenging and
some choices need to be made. I myself -for example- tend to first make sure
all performers can see each other, then try to figure out how to structure
that in a way that's open to the audience. It can be a bit of a balancing
act.

Yours,
Kas.