Re: [livecode] live coding

From: Renick Bell <renick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:54:09 +0900

Hello. I'm Renick. I live in Tokyo. I got interested in live coding
after reading about Alex on Slashdot years ago, but it took some time
to develop enough skills to be able to try it myself. Now I'm
experimenting with live coding in Haskell. I've started a library,
which is called Conductive, to be used for live coding in Haskell. You
can read more about it here:

http://www.renickbell.net/conductive/doku.php/

There is a short video of it in use here:

http://renickbell.net/conductive/video/conductive-demo-101229.ogv

I've personally encountered resistance to live coding at university,
but I agree with Rob and don't think it's really anything to worry
about. It's more important to focus on the quality of our output than
being defensive about people's reactions to a relatively new form of
musical expression. People whose attitudes may be changed will be
swayed by compelling sound, code, and performances.

Other than Kijjaz, I'm not noticing others in Asia. For non-native
English speakers in Asia who may be subscribed, don't be shy or worry
about introducing yourself in English! This list will be more
forgiving of language syntax mistakes than the interpreters you use
for live coding.

--
Renick Bell
- http://renickbell.net