Re: [livecode] live coding

From: Scott Hewitt <witt0191_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:31:56 +0000

>> I think
>> electronic dance music is so popular because it hits the brain with
>> discrete patterns which are then understood through movements of the
>> body by dancing, making it a total experience.
>>
> Indeed... yet denying this link seems oddly popular in that scene. I think I
> commented on it before, but I also see strong similarities between the
> Baroque concept of using the human voice as a ideal for the sound of
> instruments and the sounds popular in dance music. The baroque period saw
> more phenomena that I believe are closely linked to our own practice.
> Of course this trend is slowly reversing and currently there are senior
> students and young educators who grew up in a era where electronic sounds
> are the default which makes it all the more understandable that we are
> seeing these "knee jerks". I predict that in a few years well laugh about
> the days when coding music slowly in a overly bright room was seen as
> fundamentally different from coding quickly in a dark one.

That makes me laugh already - in a good way :)

I would also suggest the slow coding in well lit rooms is a very
academic experience, my commercial programming jobs always turn out to
be in dark offices with never enough time to do the job properly.

>> Stockhausen totally agrees with Kassen:
>>
>> "I would recommend that every student of music go dancing at least
>> once a week. And dance. Please, really dance: three of four hours a
>> week."
>> Karlheinz Stockhausen, 1989
>>

> I try to do it *during* my musical studies. It helps that I'm not especially
> good at either dancing or typing so performance isn't harmed much. Still
> didn't get round to the very serious joke of putting guitar-strap-pegs on a
> keyboard.
> Personally I see little harm in being a "joke category". A humorous approach
> has served other artistic and political movements very well.
> Yours,
> Kas.

Personally speaking one of the things that attracted me to
'livecoding' was the humour it was often conducted with, things crash,
break, mistakes happen its part of the fun.

Scott