Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:29:00 +0000

On 18 January 2011 12:46, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> The rule is "no free software in the review process", a odd but quite clear
> rule. This means either no email using their current system, no Darwin, etc,
> as well as no ogg, or it means facing inconsistency and the review process
> not occurring according to the set parameters.

The rule is more '"No patent-free standards that require extra free
software or codecs to be installed by judges." The implication,
actually made explicit by Pierre, is that free software is difficult
to install and buggy. In the case of VLC, some here agree it is
buggy. I don't think that's the case with firefox or chrome though,
which natively support ogg theora (as HTML5 standards used to require
before they got nobbled).

However we're raising this issue a week from the deadline, which has
been extended by a week, so it's not a great surprise that things
aren't going to change...

A greater issue in my opinion is that musicians don't get paid, and I
think have to pay the conference fees to take part, even if they don't
want to attend it. I think this was even the case with officially
sanctioned off-icmc events when they were included in the programme at
ICMC in Belfast (the live coding + indian electronica event was an
off-off-icmc event, with flyers subversively passed between conference
members). This is normal in academic circles, but it seems wrong. I
guess you could say the same about those who have to pay to give
papers and demos though, and then you see how it is the way it is...

http://yaxu.org/