Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:38:36 +0000

On 17 January 2011 21:08, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex; I do believe that VLC on OSX lags a bit (version-wise) but still I
> noted that many OSX users use it a lot. Maybe the user experience goes in
> phases as either is updated? You're again the voice of reason, but I stick
> to my point about the history of FOSS in computer music.

Yes it's a good one, I agree, and disagree with Pierre's decision.

I've never had a problem viewing files with VLC. I don't know why
others have, maybe because they're trying to view videos with
different codecs. Oggs are a nice standard though, if you don't want
to view an ogg file in VLC you could view them in chrome or firefox.
I understand over 50% of browser use in Europe is one of those two
browsers these days, so hardly a tough call.

> VLC may (for all I
> know) crash all the time on OSX, but the implied claim of "open and hence
> buggy" seems to deny our debt to the first few primitive tries and how those
> grew, as well as the current and wonderful communally tended crops.

Yes and although I don't want to quote him out of context, it wasn't
implied, Pierre was quite explicit in saying he thought all free
software was buggy and time wasting.

> Perhaps, if this is so far unclear to some at ICMC, some people could join
> in next year and send text or poster about how this is important, both
> historically and as a way of empowering individual voices in a field closely
> linked to large fashions?

Yes that would be a nice thing to do, I'd be happy to join in. Maybe
it could even be done this year? I've got loads on this week though.

http://yaxu.org/