Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:08:47 +0100

Dan;

> No no, wait, it's purely my fault for mentioning Quicktime - I was
> using Quicktime to confirm that the .mp4 files that I produced (using
> vlc, ffmpeg, mencoder things like that) would be likely to render on
> the judges' machines whatever they were.
>
> Then I take back those bits :¬).

> MP4 is at least an international standard, not emerging from a single
> manufacturer (i.e. the situation is better than calls that demand word
> docs).

Spot on. Personally I never understood that. Editors will want a unified
look, I don't see why I should set fonts, etc. I like to imagine that they
are secretly happy when I hand in a .txt and leave mark-up to mark-up
experts. So far I have always gotten away with that.

Alex; I do believe that VLC on OSX lags a bit (version-wise) but still I
noted that many OSX users use it a lot. Maybe the user experience goes in
phases as either is updated? You're again the voice of reason, but I stick
to my point about the history of FOSS in computer music. VLC may (for all I
know) crash all the time on OSX, but the implied claim of "open and hence
buggy" seems to deny our debt to the first few primitive tries and how those
grew, as well as the current and wonderful communally tended crops.

Perhaps, if this is so far unclear to some at ICMC, some people could join
in next year and send text or poster about how this is important, both
historically and as a way of empowering individual voices in a field closely
linked to large fashions? There are obvious links to livecoding as a
invitation towards that kind of personal empowerment too. If this hasn't
been done yet as a separate topic it's about time, IMHO.

Yours,
Kas.