Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:18:35 +0000

On 17 January 2011 18:52, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait. Does it actually say that? That's not what I read from Alex's post. Is
> MP4 Quicktime only? If so I do feel that this seriously harms the appearance
> of a impartial process.

They just ask for mpeg-4 files only, in the submission process.

MPEG-4 contains patents by a lot of different companies including
Apple, but I don't think this is an Apple-centric issue. I've never
really understood what quicktime was, but mp4 is viewable on any
system, although under Linux you might have to install some nonfree
codec pack or install vlc which I think has it all rolled in.

Pierre says VLC has many issues, some of which he has reported to the
bug list. He didn't go into any more detail than that.

The most annoying thing for me is that he is flatly accusing all free
software of being buggy, and not free in that you have to spend a lot
of time compiling it and messing around troubleshooting. This seems
rather an out of date point of view, and certainly not applicable to
vlc. It's also a bit of an odd way of going about encouraging live
coding submissions, when most live coding software comes under a free
or freeware license.

Still, I'm trying not to get too huffy about it. Maybe we could do an
off-icmc event again.

http://yaxu.org/