Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: Tom Lieber <tom_at_alltom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:20:00 -0800

First, I should say that I think for the purposes of judging it's
reasonable to expect the judges to at least try to meet the applicants
half-way. When submitting a paper, requiring a document in Word or
LaTeX format makes some sense because they need to work it into a
certain publishing process; for judging they just need to view the
submission, and it doesn't take long to set up a computer to view
videos in any format. However...

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Dan S <danstowell+toplap_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> The suggestion
> that VLC is a problem is a bit puzzling since it's always been my
> reliable "this will open anything" media player, but never mind.

I'm puzzled by this and similar sentiments in this thread, as VLC is
my last-ditch, please-just-make-it-through-the-entire-file-this-time
player when I come across a video without a Quicktime codec. It is not
reliable software. It may depend on platform: I am on OS X. When I
used Linux, I'd take VLC over any of the alternatives, but on OS X I'd
much rather play a file in Quicktime because it's much more likely to
work.

I also use VLC for extracting audio from video, where again I have to
cross my fingers, not click buttons too fast, and choose just the
right export settings to reliably finish rendering. It took me at
least half a dozen tries before I found the settings which get it to
work without crashing or creating corrupted/wildly distorted output.
My opinion of VLC is not the highest...

'Course for Mac-toting judges, there's always this:

  http://xiph.org/quicktime/

I have only good experiences with xiph software.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Is MP4 Quicktime only?

I don't claim to know that much about MPEG-4, but certain parts seem
to be based on Quicktime.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

However, it didn't take very long to find instructions on how to
freely encode to mp4 with open source tools, including some based on
VLC.

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9005
  http://tom.zickel.org/vlcmp4/

--