Re: [livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:57:31 +0100

Alex;

I wrote to Pierre Alexandre (the music programme chair) about this,

> and he didn't want to move, saying that free software that supports
> ogg, like VLC, was too buggy to expect the jury to use.

This is great news! It's been a few years since I used a closed source media
player. Back then they were very slow to start, prone to crashing, hard to
operate because of a apparent allergy to interface guidelines and would more
or less secretly install all sorts of programs on your system that you
didn't want and hook into your browser. After that they were nigh
impossible to remove. I'm happy this situation has been apparently
been remedied now. I look forward to see these programs in action once.

> I understand the work involved in
> managing this process, and reluctance to revisit decisions, but this
> does seem an issue that is likely to introduce a bias to the
> process...

Well, it's their organisation; they can do with it as they please. I just
hope that if they are limiting the "peers" in the review process as well as
the people permitted to enter material according to what OS they use they
aren't claiming this to be "science".

I have no time for such hoop-jumping; I have experiments to perform, results
to share and need to look into what others are doing. As I pointed out
earlier today; walled gardens also make perfectly fine containment areas.

Yours,
Kas.