[livecode] live coding submissions at icmc - mpeg-4 only

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:49:03 +0000

Hi all,

I was excited that ICMC invited live coding performance proposals to
their programme, they also say video documentation is highly
encouraged. However they ask only for mp4 video, which is
patent-encumbered. The video I was going to upload is ogg theora
(just for the purposes of peer review, not to go on the DVD).

I wrote to Pierre Alexandre (the music programme chair) about this,
and he didn't want to move, saying that free software that supports
ogg, like VLC, was too buggy to expect the jury to use. I asked for a
compromise, that I could include an ogg file on the basis that the
jury members wouldn't be required to view it if they had any problems
doing so. This wasn't accepted. I understand the work involved in
managing this process, and reluctance to revisit decisions, but this
does seem an issue that is likely to introduce a bias to the
process...

Just a warning in case others were intending to submit a live coding
proposal and might be affected. On the bright side, Pierre did say he
would suggest an alternate format for next year's ICMC.

http://yaxu.org/