Re: [livecode] Avseq

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:06:43 +0200

Tom;

Yeah, rez, fantastavision, every extend, shmups generally, toshio
> iwai, etc etc are all big influences,

Great artists steal, as they say :-)

> The major issue with it has been tuning it for a specific
> audience/player.. in this case a gallery goer,
> The majority of punters are 'gallery conditioned' to jsut stand at the
> back and look on nervously.

I have no solutions to this, I just share your problem. I literally bought
the biggest knobs I could find (8cm), put them on huge boxes in a
contrasting colour, placed those in the centre of the room and ended the
invitation with "you should feel guilty if you're just watching" (quoting
Alec Empire), this was also hung on the wall. There we still people that
were baffled by the concept and had no idea what to do.

I wonder what these people will do when they need to trigger a fire alarm.
Then again I think I was 8 or so when I was almost kicked out of a museum
because I thought trying to sit on the displayed couches should be a part of
evaluating the artwork.

> The chain reaction is a nice idea, i did think about it and it would
> probably work much better in a home-played game. I have realtime tempo
> changes and freezes in the gallery version and that was enough to
> freak people out already. (which was partly my ambition anyway :)
>
> The tempo changes and freezes were a bit odd to me too, I have to confess.
Chain-reactions could lead to arpeggiated chords, that might keep the cause
and effect link clear? Maybe unused balls could change colour and float up
again, becoming a target for such chains and opening the option of adding
extra dense sections after a "break"?

> What consistently impresses me is that spamming a 16 beat sequence (9
> voices of percussion and melodic samples)with notes (as a result of
> the game mechanics) almost always results in a composition that sounds
> very deliberate.. But this was partly the driving idea behind the game
> too.

Can I ask exactly how the "spamming" works? I've been curious about how Rez
generates its melodies for a long time now and it sounds like you got quite
close.

Yours,
Kas.