Re: [livecode] Avseq

From: Tom Betts <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:58:37 +0100

HI Guys, glad you liked it.

Yeah, rez, fantastavision, every extend, shmups generally, toshio
iwai, etc etc are all big influences,
Its written in C++ Opengl with fmod for the lib atm (though i might
roll my own portaudio version at some point)
I dont really intend to release any source code, its just not my
thing, especially since the way i make stuff is so spagetti, bespoke
and horrible.

The major issue with it has been tuning it for a specific
audience/player.. in this case a gallery goer,
The majority of punters are 'gallery conditioned' to jsut stand at the
back and look on nervously. the next set are accustomed to *cough*
digital art, where they might wiggle a mouse or maybe click a random
button and then wonder if the visual results had maybe something to do
with their actions..
The final set were obviously those with experience of gaming and
*shock* actually got into it.
This last lot (admittedly perhaps 1/10) would actually start to hog
the machine, determined to play through successive 'levels'> I know
that I shouldnt really expect games to work super well in galleries,
but i cant help myself trying..

I'm planning to make a more indepth, gamelike, less 'art' (probably)
version for download (possibly commercial) as another exeriment, but
we'll see...

The chain reaction is a nice idea, i did think about it and it would
probably work much better in a home-played game. I have realtime tempo
changes and freezes in the gallery version and that was enough to
freak people out already. (which was partly my ambition anyway :)

What consistently impresses me is that spamming a 16 beat sequence (9
voices of percussion and melodic samples)with notes (as a result of
the game mechanics) almost always results in a composition that sounds
very deliberate.. But this was partly the driving idea behind the game
too.

cheers

T.

--