Re: [livecode] generating random MIDI events

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:16:01 +0100

2010/1/26 Aykut Caglayan <aykut_caglayan_at_yahoo.com>

> "Grace" is more compositon oriented than performance.
> You cannot change the values on the fly.
> Recently, Dr. Taube added Osc protocol into it. So it can be combined with
> other performance apps.
> And i wonder, if someone tried to port some of its (Grace) source codes
> (like patterns) into Impromptu . ?

I just looked it up and Fluxus doesn't support MIDI-out (at least that's not
in the manual). That's a shame as otherwise it would be perfect for this.
It's based on Scheme (which we'll pretend is basically Lisp), it
supports parallel tasks and it can update running stuff quite easily,
including redefining existing structures, functions, etc. Fluxus also has
the best looking IDE ever (IMHO). Not the most functional one (no
search&replace, no undo, even) but it looks amazing, these days you can even
make the code dance around the screen.

IMHO Grace is missing some chances here because to me a big part of the fun
in Lisp and Lisp-like systems is the dialogue between the system and the
programmer while the system is running.

I'm sure Impromptu supports all things needed but Impromptu only runs on OSX
and I think Linux was mentioned as a demand.

Kas.