Re: [livecode] Fwd: IEEE1588 patent encumbered -- project needs different leader

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:09:07 +0100

>This below is sad reading, especially considering that ptpd was part
>of the plan for a cross-system livecoding sync.

This is sad news. I've had a look into the details a bit, but I can't
find the patent related information.

> Relatedly I just
>learned that ChucK as well as PD have commercial iphone ports (rjdj
>and smule), so I guess neither can accept patches to their GPLd code
>without forking (although PD is mostly BSD, I understand portions of
>the library are GPL).

I have always been wondering why it is possible for these iPhone
projects to include GPLd code and not publish the sources? This seems
not juridically defendable in the first place.

>How long before we find the first US software
>patent on live coding?

Let's keep on working hard
to make it all prior art.