Re: [livecode] Reading on performativity

From: <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:11:00 +0000

Thanks for these links people, any more would be reallly appreciated.

wierdly (though not too wierd, since I also teach game design theory) my
course reading list and yours (evan) are almost identical! (Not that the
students ever read anything of course, to busy trying to make GTA in
flash or something). Still a few nice papers etc I hadn't seen before so
thanks, maybe we should hook up some time for a games boffin chat or
something..

Thanks alex, im waiting to get into aaaaa etc and ive got about halfway
through your citation list, aargh too much interesteing stuff that i am
sure im not supposed to sidetrack myself into! Found a few thins that
could be really useful too.

Kassen, thanks for your mail, to be honest even though I've never got
into 2d fighters myself I am a huge shmups fanatic and they 2 genres
share a lot in terms of their hardcore community, obscure terminology
and strategic forms. Im planning to investigate some of these
subcultures in more detail so I might get back to you for even more
obscure stuff later if thats ok..

You reminded me to post a link to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkS199jTuA
This is a guy playing both players in ikaruga on a handmade split
controller. Ikaruga has one of the most simple yet deep gameplay/scoring
mechanics. Its hard for people to understand the level of skill on
display, but showing his hands in the vid is a really nice element that
re-introduces the visual elements of performative virtuosity etc

Anyway, please keep posting anything you think might help!

Tom Betts
www.nullpointer.co.uk
www.odessadesign.co.uk