Re: [livecode] announce: Circa alpha 2

From: Andy Fischer <andy.fischer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:31:01 -0800

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:34 AM, alex <alex_at_lurk.org> wrote:

> Good stuff. I thought it looked a bit like python. Was there a
> particular reason why you didn't use the indentation rules from
> python? Then you could do away with the 'end'. I realise this is a
> religious issue though!

Funny you mention that, I was seriously considering changing it to use
Python's significant indentation. I didn't do it that way initially because
it seems like some people out there have a strong dislike of Python's
system.

But I was thinking that the parser could be flexible. When it expects to
find a block of code (such as immediately after "def func()"), it would
check the next token, if it finds a Pythonic ":" then it would parse the
contents with significant indentation. If instead of a ':' it finds a '{' or
'begin' then it would parse the block until the corresponding '}' or 'end',
ignoring indentation.

> I like the way you have different ways of editing the sourcecode for
> different situations. When in full development you're in vi, when
> tweaking gameplay you have widgets for editing key 'constants'. I
> wonder what other use cases there are. When drunk, only allowed to
> use certain functions and not delete too much?

Haha, I like the idea of drunk-mode. I'm hoping to have a nice variety of
in-game code editing widgets, hopefully the next release will have a few
more. One of my goals is that it should be easy to write widgets like that,
so that maybe the community will come up with some really creative ones.

Andy