Re: [livecode] al jazari in flash

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:24:43 +0100

Dave;

There has to be a balance. As long as there are also people making
> livecoding massively inaccessible with esoteric languages,
> over-projection and tactics of confusion, I think there is also a place
> for making it accessible.

Yes, I'm certainly not advocating dumbing everything down all the time.
Balance is good, so is tailoring the material to the audience (which need
not mean please the audience in all cases). What I mean is that I think
there is a real audience for this kind of thing outside of our small circle.
Like the scratch pdf pointed out; the days that you'd get BASIC for free
with your first computer to take some playful first steps with are over and
to some this might be a sort of equivalent.

> 17. We can analyze your application, content, and data for any
> purpose, including commercial (such as for targeting the delivery of
> advertisements and indexing content for search).
>
> Nice to know the bottom line is that they are an advertising company.
>
> No news there. Still, I see no real problem with that, in fact I'm greatly
in favour of analysing applications, content and data for any purpose. As
far as I'm concerned Facebook can have a field-day with marketing based on
forward x3, turn left, repeat.

> I like the idea of 'baby robots' :)

Me too, and I like the idea of spatial following as a analogy for echo
effects. A string of baby robots following the mother like little ducks is
A) cute and B) probably a great target for making things muck up in
musically interesting ways by having stuff bump into the chain. Did we miss
a demographic still?

> but I think to go further I'd want
> to work on a different design - with a more involved interpreter.
> Corewars is possibly a good route to follow, some sort of (maybe
> cooperative) interaction between you and your friend's programs - unlock
> new opcodes, status updates flooding the system such as "Kassen has just
> executed his first "Rotate With Carry Left" instruction!".

I'm fairly sure there are limits to how much you can crap-flood that won't
be persuaded by claims of highly artistic crapflooding for scientific
purposes. They probably wouldn't be impressed with resetting the system's
PRNG -say- 50 times per second either, resulting in "Kassen's bassline in
CoreMusicWars ruined all fun in Dinosaur-wars, becrystallisedblitz and 500
other applications (click to see all), he now ranks second amongst his
friends for being a pseudo-artistic spoil-sport (click here to challenge
him)".

Turn-based multi-player Beta-blocker would be good though and more
realistic, especially as unlocking instructions would keep it from
overwhelming. That could work like core-wars?

BTW, I tried to look for the API to remotely change stuff like relationship
status, gender and so on but couldn't find it. I know there is one as I saw
a "game" at a demonstration at Worm in Rotterdam that would create/edit a FB
profile for you from a Gameboy. I have a hunch that a simple proof of
concept there could demonstrate how to create a lot of chaos from a purely
deterministic program.

Yours,
Kas.