Re: [livecode] al jazari in flash

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:26:52 +0000

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 16:33 +0100, Kassen wrote:

> 2009/11/19 Click Nilson <clicksonnil_at_gmail.com>
> Fantastic!
>
> And really nice to see the sourcecode too; inspiring a sudden
> new wave of online live coding interfaces?
>

> Going online is one thing; the established livecoding systems already
> have features for connecting to remote machines. The big thing to me
> here and in your own iPhone game/puzzle/instrument is that these are
> instantly usable to all, without the threshold of having to compile a
> system, read up on syntax, etc.
>
> I find it quite interesting how things like text editors and math are
> deemed boring by most young audiences.... unless cute games are
> involved.

and/or music...

> If you ever want to see teenagers debate spreadsheets and perform a
> mathematical analysis on a complex system look no further than role
> playing games or stuff like the mentioned (on Dave's blog) FarmVille.
>
> We (as a scene) seem to have the concept of "the first hit being free"
> down quite well; the first hit is free as in beer, speech and form but
> for most people the first hit is still a solid blow to the temple.
> Perhaps a better strategy would be "the first hit is cute".

There has to be a balance. As long as there are also people making
livecoding massively inaccessible with esoteric languages,
over-projection and tactics of confusion, I think there is also a place
for making it accessible.

> I think this game should be extended, placed on Facebook

Just reading the terms, not too bad as far as I can see, although this
is interesting:

  17. We can analyze your application, content, and data for any
purpose, including commercial (such as for targeting the delivery of
advertisements and indexing content for search).

Nice to know the bottom line is that they are an advertising company.

> and users should get to collect x bolts, y nuts, three chips (etc) to
> build a level 1 baby robot. Parts could appear on the arena floor and
> who-ever programs his robot to collect them fastest gets them. Baby
> robots try to trail your avatar and act as a echo if close.

I like the idea of 'baby robots' :) but I think to go further I'd want
to work on a different design - with a more involved interpreter.
Corewars is possibly a good route to follow, some sort of (maybe
cooperative) interaction between you and your friend's programs - unlock
new opcodes, status updates flooding the system such as "Kassen has just
executed his first "Rotate With Carry Left" instruction!".

cheers,

dave