Re: [livecode] Live coding survey - please respond!

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:41:50 +0200

Alex;

> Yes I didn't think that through properly, good point. I think the
> results already suggest that live coders generally have a broad
> musical background -- 71% said they'd used one of the listed
> instruments, although a rephrasing of the question would probably have
> turned up a much higher number.

I would suggest that this might be a interesting angle for further research.

What I did was play a acoustical instrument (mostly because that was deemed
a part of growing up), get into hardware, get into software, then write my
own, then livecode. I would expect that general development to be relatively
common for my generation ('77) as that was roughly the order in which things
became available to me at all.

For people a few years younger a open/free/warezed software synth on a
hand-me-down computer would probably be the first thing available; unlike
chips woodwork isn't getting much cheaper.

I know of one musician who started making music using ChucK, then got a
guitar in addition to that, partially inspired by the joys of
Karplus-Strong.

I would imagine that going from Karplus-Strong to a stringed instrument
instead of the other way around (as well as going from function calls to
finger-picking!) would affect your perspective and I'd also expect that
people making such transitions are becoming more common over the course of
the past, this and the next decade.

It's not so surprising that livecoders would have a wide range of diverse
interests aside from this -rather exotic- hobby, probably also in
non-musical fields, but I'd predict that on top of that the link between
this and other activities would shift as the computer becomes a more
centralised part of day to day life.

I'm not sure *how* we would research that though.

Kas.

PS; would it be deemed too touchy a subject to research the possible
corelations between using rules for personal expression as in livecoding and
attitude towards laws, politics, authority and government?